Saturday 14 February 2009

My First ~ and almost last client!

Now out of training, after all the study now it was time for the most exciting part of all, that of getting out into the real world, to make a difference, to help to heal those in need, comfort those in distress, guide those who had lost direction. My leaflets went out as inserts in the local rag, and I waited for the phone to ring, expecting a surge of calls and being in total demand.

Well not quite! It was now 1986, hypnotherapy in those days was pretty much unheard of, and it was seen as hocus-pocus, baloney and more. In fact in those early days I chose to get an answer machine, this to my friends made me a ‘Yuppie’ this may be another term unfamiliar to younger readers ~ (young upwardly-mobile professional) which was far from the truth. Little did my friends know I got the answer machine to field off the idiots who knew nothing about hypnosis and saw it as a means of doing harm, doing evil. In fact nothing could have been further from the truth. I had left a well paid job, did some serious brain testing studying to do what I had chosen to do. It was my choice to leave the comfort of a secure job, to help those in need.

They knew nothing about what I had been trained for, and what I knew was that I was not going to allow those types to concern me or worry my family. I knew I wanted to do this, and that was exactly what I was going to do. However it did provide a learning curve for me, I fell back on my training, not to be offended; some people get scared or abusive when they don’t know or understand something. So I let it go and moved on.

Eventually the phone did ring a client! Remain professional, it was exciting and I had to try and prevent that excitement getting in the way of being professional. A few days later I did a home visit. Now bearing in mind whenever I speak about a client, it will be about events over 10 years ago (this is about 23 years ago now) names and places will be changed to ensure anonymity.

Of all the things for a first client I had a chap with a sexual problem! Just my luck! And yet I had been trained for such clients and was entirely professional. All the usual first meet questions were asked, I told him about hypnotherapy. A few days later I returned and was setting up my audio tapes, one for ambient music, and the other to record the session to which he would listen in between times we would meet.

As I was setting up the cassettes he excused himself saying he needed the bathroom. He came back completely starker’s! As naked as a jaybird (although jay birds aren’t naked, the origin of that phrase poses a question perhaps for the wordsmiths among you readers). I was shocked, but I hope he didn’t notice, I simply told him there was no need for it and he should get dressed. He left the room and came back suitably attired.

I felt a bit uneasy, but all was fine, after all I am over 6ft tall and trained to look after myself so no physical threat was imminent, but I remained uneasy. I had explained at the initial consultation that hypnotherapy is a process not a magic wand and that there would have to be more that one session.

During the now regular post session discussion I hold with people, he made it clear that it wasn’t hypnotherapy he wanted, it was more me he wanted! That questions not only his sanity but his eye-sight in my view! I assured him nothing more was on offer. I packed up and left, after being paid of course.

I didn’t see another client for three weeks. I was disappointed, is this how it was going to be? Is this what I had left a good job for, had left good salary and security to satisfy some lonely mans fantasy! I didn’t see any other clients for three weeks out of choice, the leaflets were doing their work, I was getting calls, but after three weeks, my wife quietly said to me “why are you letting one person ruin what you want to do, what you have trained had to do and that you have a passion for”? She was right, and from that moment I changed, I was back to it again, enthusiastic and wanting to make a difference.

At my workshops I often tell this story in more depth, but I always add, if it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone, so I always warn those therapists who do home visits, especially females, be aware!

Tomorrow ~ IBS